Milk

Production and usage of cow milk in 2020

With an increase of 0.9% a total of 3 815 000 tonnes of raw milk was produced in calendar year 2020. The average annual milk yield of the 524 000 dairy cows (-0.6%) kept in Austria was 7 300 kg per animal (+1.5%).

At 3 384 000 tonnes (+0.2%), the largest share thereof (88.7%) was provided to manufacturing enterprises. Apart from a minor waste, the remaining raw milk was used on farms: 262 000 tonnes (6.9% of the production) were fed to calves or other domestic animals and 131 000 tonnes (3.4% of the production) were used for human consumption.

Production and usage of sheep milk in 2020

Compared to 2019 sheep milk production fell to a total of 11 400 tonnes of raw milk (-6.2%). In 2020 around 28 100 dairy sheep (-0.6%) were kept in Austria and showed an average annual milk yield of 407 kg per sheep (-5.8%). 9 900 tonnes (87.1%) of the raw milk produced were used for human consumption directly or in processed form and 1 400 tonnes (11.9% of the production) for other purposes like feeding. The rest of the production was accounted as waste.

Production and usage of goat milk in 2020

The 37 500 dairy goats (-3.8%) kept in Austria produced a total of 25 400 tonnes of raw milk (-4.3%) in 2020. The average annual milk yield declined to 676 kg per goat (-0.6%). 22 800 tonnes (89.8%) of the raw milk produced were intended for human consumption. The remaining quantity was used for other purposes (2 300 tonnes; 9.2% of the production) or recorded as waste.

Methodological notes

The milk statistics determines the raw milk yield of the previous calendar year and provides results relating to the milk used for human consumption or as a feedstuff. The data also forms the basis for further calculations, for instance in conjunction with Supply Balance Sheets or the Economic Accounts for Agriculture.

The survey of the overall raw milk yield and its use for human consumption is conducted in accordance with the criteria and definitions of the European Commission Decision of 18 December 1996 laying down provisions for the implementation of Council Directive 96/16/EC. The statistics for milk production and usage is provided annually by Statistics Austria in cooperation with the regional agricultural chambers, the “Agrarmarkt Austria” (AMA, the Austrian paying agency for agriculture and rural development) and relevant professional associations.

Annual production and usage of cow milk 2016 to 2020
Annual production and usage of sheep milk 2016 to 2020
Annual production and usage of goat milk 2016 to 2020

MilkPrice in € *)Free Download

 
 

Statistik der Landwirtschaft 2020
This publication contains important key data on structure of agricultural and forestry holdings, cultivation and harvesting of field crops, fruit and viticulture, livestock (including aquaculture) as ...

Release date: 12/2021 ISBN:978-3-903264-95-3

 
 

37,00

 
 

(PDF, 9 MB)

 
 

Statistik der Landwirtschaft 2019
Data on the structure of agricultural and forestry holdings, the cultivation and harvesting of plant products as well as on livestock (including aquaculture) are the most important statistical ...

Release date: 11/2020 ISBN:978-3-903264-59-5

 
 

37,00

 
 

(PDF, 10 MB)

 
 

Statistik der Landwirtschaft 2018
Data on the structure of agricultural and forestry holdings, the cultivation and harvesting of plant products as well as on livestock (including aquaculture) are the most important statistical ...

Release date: 10/2019 ISBN:978-3-903264-25-0

 
 

37,00

 
 

(PDF, 6 MB)

*) excluding shipping and handling
If you want to purchase one of these publications, please contact our General information service.




Guglgasse 13, A-1110 Vienna 
Tel.: +43 1 71128-7070 
Fax: +43 1 71128-7728 
info@statistik.gv.at 
Opening hours: Mon - Fri 9.00 am - 4.00 pm